Search here for conference announcements, calls for papers, fellowships and more.
Do you have an event you’d like to announce? A call for papers for a conference? Email all details to [email protected]ananthro.org.
The Claremont Prize for the Study of Religion is dedicated to the publication of first books by early career scholars working in any discipline of the humanities or social sciences. Submissions can be on any aspect of the study of religion, including the study of secularism. Prize-winners will be invited to IRCPL to participate in a workshop and the books will appear in IRCPL’s series, “Religion, Culture, and Public Life,” published by Columbia University Press.
Deadline for applications: October 1, 2019.
The international competition is open to scholars working in the social sciences and humanities. Submissions must meet the following criteria:
- Authors must have received the PhD on or after January 1, 2012.
- The manuscript must be single-authored.
- The submission must be the author’s first book (excluding edited books).
- The manuscript must not be under consideration at any other press.
October 1, 2019: Deadline for submission
November 2019: Notification by selection committee of short list
November 2019 – February 2020: Short-listed manuscripts peer reviewed by Columbia University Press
March 2020: Prize winners announced by IRCPL
May 2020: Workshop for winning books at Columbia University
Applicants should submit the following materials to Marianna Pecoraro at [email protected]. Please merge application form, CV and book précis into one PDF file; the book manuscript should be sent as a separate PDF file. All file names should include the applicant’s last name.
- Completed application form (found here).
- Brief CV. Maximum 2 pages. Please include contact details for two references.
- Book Précis. Maximum 2000 words. Please include: (a) Title; (b) Abstract; (c) Full description (thesis, purpose, methodological approach, and intended contribution to literature); (d) Chapter outline; and (e) Market considerations and intended audience.
- Full Book Manuscript, including low-res images (if applicable).