Search here for conference announcements, calls for papers, fellowships and more.
Do you have an event you’d like to announce? A call for papers for a conference? Email all details to email@example.com.
The Southern Foodways Alliance 2017 Graduate Student Conference:
Foodways and Social Justice in the U.S. South
September 11-12, 2017
Call for Abstracts: DUE April 14, 2017
The Southern Foodways Alliance, the Center for the Study of Southern Culture, the Department of Sociology and Anthropology, and the Graduate School at the University of Mississippi, announce a call for papers, multimedia projects, or short documentaries for a colloquium to be held on the campus of the University of Mississippi in Oxford, September 11-12, 2017.
We welcome original research or projects that engage with the broad topic of social justice through the lens of Southern foodways or Southern agriculture. Suggested areas of interest include, but are not limited to:
- Southern foodways or agriculture and intersectional Southern identities (race, class, gender, sexuality, age, religion, etc.)
- Food system labor in the U.S. South
- Immigrant foodways of the U.S. South
- Critical analyses of contemporary Southern foodways
- Social, historical, or ecological studies of Southern agriculture, with emphasis on discrimination, environmental justice, etc.
- Methodological approaches to food studies that attend to issues of racism, sexism, and myriad of other forms of systemic discrimination and oppression
By Friday, April 14, please complete the online application. On the application, describe your paper or project in 200 words and include a short biographical statement. Please contact Afton Thomas at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
All applicants will receive notification on May 5. Accepted participants’ final projects for presentation are due by Friday, August 4 at 5 p.m. CT.
Conference fees, including three tasty meals, are waived for accepted presenters. Travel to Oxford, Mississippi, and lodging costs are the responsibility of presenters.