MALCOLM H. WIENER LABORATORY
FOR ARCHAEOLOGICAL SCIENCE
PRE-DOCTORAL RESEARCH FELLOWSHIP 2019-2021
Deadline: January 15, 2019
Purpose: To conduct research at the Malcolm H. Wiener Laboratory for Archaeological Science of the American School of Classical Studies at Athens that addresses substantive problems pertaining to the ancient Greek world and adjacent areas through the application of interdisciplinary methods in the archaeological sciences. Laboratory facilities are especially well equipped to support the study of human skeletal biology, archaeobiological remains (faunal and botanical), environmental studies, and geoarchaeology (particularly studies in human-landscape interactions and the study of site formation processes). Research projects utilizing other archaeological scientific approaches are also eligible for consideration, depending on the strength of the questions asked and the suitability of the plan for access to other equipment or resources available elsewhere in Greece.
Qualifications: Individuals actively enrolled in a graduate program who have passed all qualifying exams and have an approved PhD proposal.
Term: Two (2) years with the next term beginning early September 2019. It is expected that the applicant will maintain a physical presence at the Wiener Laboratory during the academic year (September to June 1).
Compensation: Stipend of $20,000 for 12 months.
Application: Link to Pre-doctoral Fellowship application instructions at: https://www.ascsa.edu.gr/research/wiener-laboratory/fellowships-and-research-associate-appointments.
- Cover sheet naming the applicant, current research interests, and title and brief summary of the proposed research project
- Project Description including a) Objectives and expected Significance, b) Background and relation to present state of knowledge, c) Research description, d) Timeframe
- Results of prior Wiener Laboratory Research
4-6.References cited; Facilities, equipment, and other resources; Permits
- Curriculum vitae following requested format
- Three (3) letters of reference from scholars in the field
- Expected contributions to and impact on the Wiener Laboratory and the ASCSA community
For information contact Dr. Panagiotis Karkanas (Director) at [email protected]
E-mail: [email protected]
The award will be announced by March 15